This workshop, organised by the EOSC-Nordic project, aims to discuss the status of the EOSC uptake in the Nordic and Baltic countries analysing the existing barriers and challenges and highlighting implementation best practices. The workshop will bring together European and regional level policy makers, representatives from the Nordic countries active in the EOSC governance (EOSC Steering Board and EOSC Association) and in the EOSC national structures and the key stakeholders (service providers, users, experts) contributing to the EOSC uptake in the region.
The workshop will revolve around two main themes:
EOSC coordination, policies and engagement in the Nordic countries: what is the impact of EOSC on the region so far and what are the expectations for the future? What are the existing barriers for a full EOSC adoption? What are the necessary steps to make EOSC part of the national roadmaps?
LUMI: a model for EOSC?: The Nordic countries have made significant investments in a new computing and AI infrastructure (LUMI). Can EOSC benefit from LUMI? What are the plans to build potential synergies between LUMI (EuroHPC) and EOSC? Can the LUMI business and funding model be replicated in EOSC?
The workshop will build upon the key outcomes and messages from the two previous policy workshops organised by EOSC-Nordic (February 2020, March 2021).
Chair: Lene Krøl Andersen, EOSC-Nordic project manager
EOSC in the Nordics: from policy to practice
14:30 - 14:35 Welcome & objectives of the session, Lene Krøl Andersen, EOSC-Nordic project manager
14:35 - 14:45 EOSC Nordic introduction, Gudmund Høst, EOSC-Nordic Coordinator & NeIC Director
14:45 - 15:10 EOSC Association updates, Sara Garavelli, EOSC Program Manager at CSC-IT Center for Science & EOSC Association Director, Wilhelm Widmark, Library Director of Stockholm University & EOSC Association Director
15:10 - 16:05 Session 1: EOSC/ FAIR Data policies in the Nordics
15:10 - 15:20 Presentation, Sofia Abrahamsson, Senior Research Officer at Swedish Research Council & co-chair of the EOSC Steering Board subgroup “National contributions to the EOSC"
15:20 - 16:05 Panel discussion
Chair: Sofia Abrahamsson, Senior Research Officer at Swedish Research Council & co-chair of the EOSC Steering Board subgroup “National contributions to the EOSC"
- Kostas Glinos, Head of Unit for Open Science, DG RTD, European Commission
- Sverker Holmgren, Professor, Chalmers University of Technology
- Mari Kleemola, Development Manager at Finnish Social Science Data Archive at Tampere University & CESSDA
- Edvards Francis Kuks, RIS3 Expert / National Open Science Coordinator for Latvia
- Anu Nuutinen, Senior Science Adviser at the Academy of Finland & EOSC Steering Board Member
16:05 - 16:25 Coffee Break
16:25 - 17:20 Session 2: Funding models for cross-border resource provisioning: can LUMI be a model for EOSC?
16:25 - 16:35 Presentation, Per Öster, Director, Director at CSC - IT Center for Science
16:35 - 17:20 Panel discussion
Chair: Per Öster, Director, Director at CSC - IT Center for Science
- Rene Buch, CTO at the EOSC Association
- Jan Meijer, Senior Advisor international strategy, Norwegian Agency for Shared Services in Education and Research, SIKT & Co-chair of the Financial Sustainability EOSC Association Task Force
- Dirk Pleiter, Professor for HPC and Director of the PDC Center for High Performance Computing, KTH, Sweden
- Susanna Repo, Head of Operations, ELIXIR
- Andrew Treloar, Director, Australian Research Data Commons (ARDC)
17:20 - 17:30 Wrap-up, Gudmund Høst, EOSC-Nordic Coordinator & NeIC Director